Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Steve's Top of Utah Marathon

I ran in the Top of Utah marathon on Saturday, September 17th. My training hasn't been very good since the Kings Peak hike, due to an injury in my right leg that I picked up in late summer. But I figured overall, I could still get a new PR. The weather didn't seem that it was going to cooperate, and there was a slight rainfall right up until two minutes before the starting gun sounded. At that point, a groan went out over the croud as the skys dumped rain, soaking everyone to the bone before the race even started. For the first two hours of the race, at best it drizzled, and at worst, poured in buckets up to and including hail.

I kept a 3:40:00 pace for the first 21 miles, but at that point, my injured leg started getting the best of me. I dropped down to a much slower pace and finished the race with a total time of 3 hours 47 minutes. So, in spite of the rain, hail, and injury, I still set a PR by 2 minutes.

Now, I'm taking 6 weeks off from running to heal up, then we'll start again for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment