Monday, January 14, 2013

SubZero OTM


Jake... ...  wake up Jake... You coming?
Have you ever heard the phrase, when something is so hot it "melts like ice cream on the 4th of July?"  It a pretty good description, wouldn't you say?  So what would be the exact opposite of that?  Perhaps we can now coin the phrase that it is so cold that it is "as cold as iced nostrils on the 14th of January."



Last night I sent Sam a text saying that since it will be as low as -5 degrees, we both need to make sure we get out and run a minimum of 3 miles, and take a couple photos to share.  Sam, who tends to whisper in the same ear as Jake's shoulder devil, tried hard to get Jake to join him.

Well... Jake apparently has a little less crazy in him than Sam and I, so he stayed in bed.  But Sam and I faced the cold.   When I climbed out of my car, the thermostat read -4 degrees in Clinton.  Sam didn't get an exact thermostat reading, but the internet said it was -1 in Taylorsville.  After a mile or so of running, it was warm enough to not really feel cold anywhere, but at that temperature, the moisture from your breath freezes around your head.  And since we are growing our beards for our annual beard campout, we get a nice layer of beard frost.  Add to that the frosty eyelashes, eyebrows, and yes... nose hair, and you come out looking like this...
It's a Yeti!!!
Sam after 3.0 miles.
Just got out of the car.  So far so good.

Steve after 4.6 miles



1 comment:

  1. Byzevay...I don't know if a little less crazy is totally accurate. A little less stupid? A little more sane? A lot more warm in my bed, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete