Monday, April 15, 2013

An Olympus Style Return to the Trails

After having suffered a torn soleus muscle in my calf, a stress fracture in my right heel, and an autistic child who had to be hospitalized for self injurious behavior, I finally made a return to the trails this last week.  Technically, my 6 weeks of rest doesn't end till Tuesday, but I decided to use this as a "soft opening."  This was also a return of sorts for Sam and Jake, being Sam's first official outing since the Buffalo 50, and Jake's first trail run in about 9 weeks or so.

In summary, it was Olympus.  Which means you are guaranteed to be gasping for breath at some point.  The trail conditions were pretty good until the second creek bed, which had a steady stream of runoff.  The staircase was slippery, and except for a few icy spots, the final scramble wasn't too bad.  Snow still covered the final ridge and summit, which always makes for some good photos.  Our final time was just under 2 hours, which isn't too bad considering I haven't done much of anything the last 6 weeks.  Although, as I'm writing this post, I'm realizing I'm a lot more sore than I thought I would be.  Olympus... you're still our favorite.
Sam and Jake approaching the saddle.  The last part of the "endless staircase."

Sam on the summit.  With an official Trail runner goatee.

Steve, descending the ridge line.

No comments:

Post a Comment