Saturday, June 29, 2013

Summer Trail Series 2.1.5: Youth Conference at the Manti Pageant

View of the Manti Ridge-line above the Manti Temple from where we camped.

This week my ward had Youth Conference at the Manti Pageant. But I wasn't going to let that stop me from getting on the trails. All week I looked for information on possible trails in the mountains just east of Manti, but to no avail. Apparently, people don't access the mountains as much down there. Upon arrival in Manti I immediately eyed the ridge line as my goal. Google earth showed that there was a possible trail which we could access from several spots. Originally, I planned to start at the local trail that goes up to the Manti M on the mountain, but changed my mind to start at the base of the canyon and get on the ridge-line right at its beginning. Thus, exchanging a very long steep ascent for a short steep ascent.

A view up Manti canyon from the rim-ridge trail.

Several of the young men, in my ward run X-Country and it didn't take much to convince them to come along. Not even with the early start time. Some of the leaders decided to come too. We went to the Manti Pageant Thursday evening and got back to camp about 11:30 p.m. For the next hour and a half I tried to go to sleep. If only I had ear plugs. Several of the boys were rambunctious and some of the young women leaders as well. Finally, around 1:00 a.m. they settled down and I was able to fall asleep. I usually don't sleep well while camping, but I slept unusually well for the full four hours I got. We woke up at 5:00 a.m. and drove to the mouth of the canyon.


Reed, Gabe & John on the way back on the rim-ridge trail.


The ascent was super steep and the trail was loose shale with dusty almost sand-like dirt. The climb was not easy, but it was short. Quickly, we made it to the ridge and were able to alternate running and power hiking, depending on the grade of ascent. Some of it was like rim-running The Wedge, a sheer cliff on one side of a precarious trail. The boys were able to keep up without any problem.









Reed, John & Gabe on the second peak.
Summit Monkey on the first peak.
After about 2.5 miles the trail disappeared and we had to bushwhack the rest of the way to the highest peak on the front ridge line. My original goal was to reach this peak. After summitting the peak I noticed another peak not much farther and we set out to bag that one as well. It wasn't long before we came across a four wheeler trail and followed that the rest of the way to the second peak.



John, Reed & Gabe on one of the few grassy flat parts.
Me above Manti Canyon.
Gabe, Reed & John, the newest OTM's, with Manti below.
















I originally planned about two hours but with the extra peak bagged we added about a half hour to our time. The boys did a great job on the way down, being a little extra cautious on the steeper parts. I cannot remember if I was that cautious when I first started running down trails. We had a fun time on the trail despite only hitting two sub peaks. Afterwards, I found out that we were only 3/4 of a mile away from Manti Mountain Peak. 



Bishop, doing his best Jake pose.

Map of the Manti Ridge-line trail.

1 comment:

  1. Cool report. And thanks for taking the boys. Great pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete