Friday, August 22, 2014

2nd Annual Skyline Loop Run

I am writing this blog up a little late, but it is still a story worth telling. Last year Steve and Sam put together a run which they called the Skyline Loop 50k. I was planning on running it with them, but got a stress fracture in my foot two weeks before the planned run. Here is the write up from last year.

I was disappointed that I didn't get to run that route. After my foot healed up I started training again. In July, I shot an email to the other trail monkeys to see if they wanted to run the loop with me. Steve responded that he would do it again. We made plans to meet at our usual time of Friday at 4 a.m. I still had to work on Friday, so I wouldn't be able to run the full 50k. I added a few shortcuts to the route and estimated the new distance would be about 23 miles. The original route goes up Farmington Canyon/Skyline Dr to Bountiful Peak, down Skyline Dr to the Bountiful "B", and then along the shoreline trail back to Farmington Canyon. The first shortcut was to take the single track trail and the end of the pavement in Farmington Canyon. The second shortcut was to go down the Parrish Creek trail.

The night before the run, Steve drove up Skyline Dr and stashed some water at the top of the Parrish Creek trail. On the way to the start, I dropped of some water at the bottom of the Parrish Creek trail.

Steve's new ride.
We started our run at the Farmington Pond. We put on our headlamps and headed out. The canyon was nice and quiet as we headed up. Not long after we started, Steve was having energy issues. He figured it would get better in a mile or two, so we pressed on. Part way up the Farmington Singletrack trail there is an old car. Steve got in it hoping it would be a faster way to the top. Unfortunately, the engine wouldn't start. It was probably out of gas.




The Farmington Singletrack trail ends at Sunset Campground. As we went through the campground, we went passed a group of campers who were sound asleep, but their little dog wasn't. It came running out, barking like crazy, and threatened to bite Steve's leg. Luckily for me, Steve was between me and the dog. The dog's owner woke up and started yelling at the dog. He retreated without biting into any flesh.

About a mile or two later, it started to get light and we could turn off our headlamps. Regardless of how any early morning run goes, when it gets light and the sun comes out, it always seems to give me a burst of energy. Ahead of us on the road, we saw something moving. At first, we thought it was a skunk or maybe a raccoon. As got closer, we realized it was a porcupine. We came past Farmington Lake about 8 miles into the run. Steve was still having energy issues. I decided to go ahead and let him go at his own pace.
Farmington Lake, just after sunrise.
I made it to Bountiful Peak, which was about 10.5 miles, in 2:40. The views were incredible. The weather was perfect for the entire run.
View from Bountiful Peak looking South.
Me on Bountiful Peak. Same silly smile.
The final ascent to Bountiful Peak is a bit of a scramble. Coming back down from peak, I could see Steve nearing the top of the road. We exchanged 'whoops', but I didn't wait for him. I was a little behind my goal pace. The next 3 miles were a gradual down hill on the gravel road. The miles flew by with my pace dropping to 6:30 per mile at times. At the top of Parrish Creek trail, I found Steve's water stash. I wasn't completely out of water yet, but I was getting low. 
Parrish Creek trail.
I tried to push the pace going down the Parrish Creek trail. Although it is a steep trail, it is also very technical. My pace was slower than it had been on the road. I had the trail to myself. I thought I might see some campers at the meadow, but it was empty. At the bottom, I found my water stash. I had frozen the bottles the night before. They had melted some in the heat, but were still ice cold. It was very refreshing.

The final stretch across the Shoreline trail was difficult. It was getting hot and I was getting tired. I knew that I was getting close to my 5 hour limit, so tried to run as much of it as I could. I came close to my goal. It ended up being 1.2 miles longer than I had expected and reached the pond in 5 hours and 4 minutes. Steve's energy finally kicked in at the bottom of the Parrish Creek trail. Unfortunately, I either hid my water stash too well, or didn't explain where is was good enough, because Steve couldn't find it. Despite that, he had enough water to make it to the pond and came in about 50 minutes behind me.

This is a great run that we are going to make annual tradition. Those of you who didn't make it this year, we hope to see you next year.
Map and statistics.


2 comments:

  1. I seem to remember the dog being the same size as that car. I also remember my knees shaking till bountiful peak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad I missed it. I have fond memories of almost dying last year.

    ReplyDelete