Tuesday, September 30, 2014

A traveler's guide to trail running

Over the past few years I have had the opportunity, thanks to my work, to travel all over the world. Being a trail runner, I always try to find a trail to run on regardless of where I am. I don't always find a trail, but I almost always get a run in. Here are some tips to finding trails and running in new places.



1. Bring your gear. Running in slacks and dress shoes in the dark without a headlamp is probably not a good idea. Bring you shoes, headlamp, water bottle, and anything else that you usually run with. Check the weather for where you will be. If it's 30 degrees colder there, don't forget your hat.







2. Run with a GPS device. Not only can you track your run, but you can also find your way back to the hotel. Most phone running apps and GPS devices have a "back to start" feature. A device that also has a map display can be very useful when your lost.
















3. Find a trail. Figuring out where to run in a new area can be tricky. Before each trip I usually look at the location I am traveling to on Google Earth. I also look on strava.com to see if other people have run in that area. Lastly, I do google searches for hiking and bike trails in the area. If I can't find a trail, I run on the roads and see where my legs take me.






4. Be safe. Running in an unknown area can be scary. Be prepared for an emergency. If running in a foreign country make sure that you know what phone number to call in an emergency. 911 won't work. Don't run alone. Even if you don't have someone to run with, run in an area where there are other people out and about.


















5. Have fun. Running in unknown territory can be exciting. Explore the area as much as you can. Take pictures of your adventures. If you're brave enough, ask a stranger to take your picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment