| UT County Runners on Melanie's Rock on our way up to Y Mtn summit. |
| From the rear: Nate, Brian, Ben, Aaron, Tommy. |
by Sam
I had the great opportunity to go down to Utah County and again run to the Y summit (not the letter on the mountain, the summit up and beyond) and also loop around hitting some new trails I've never done in Slate Canyon. Last time I did Y Mtn was in June and the aspen meadows were amazing. I love them just as much in winter.
We parked at the Rock Canyon trailhead and ran over to the Y trail during the waning dark hours. The forecast was rain and snow, but we didn't get much of either, it was mostly just overcast. The deepest snow we encountered was only about six inches. It was light and fluffy save for one small portion at the top of Slate Canyon. The conditions were ideal for a winter run.
| False summit jump at the Overlook. |
| Clearing just before the saddle to Y Mtn. |
| Y Mtn summit Dew. I believe that makes it the Lord's Dew. |
As we neared the saddle to the city overlook and Y Mtn summit the fog rolled in. Unfortunately, we were unable to see the city or the beautiful view over Rock Canyon and Squaw peak. Personally, I really like the foggy mist. It's eerie but cool. The winter quiet stillness brought my favorite feeling of serenity. I love running high in the mountains in the crisp air and snow where not many people go.
| The Lovely Ladies, Melanie, Lori, Kristi. |
![]() |
| Map and Stats of Y Mtn and Slate Canyon. |

No comments:
Post a Comment