It is official. Monday's are my new distance days. Wanting to give my new distance day a good test run, I opted to do a whopping 50k and see how I fared. In short, it was fantastic. With the exception of the last mile of climbing through the morning heat, I felt really good the whole day.
A couple differences between this time and last attempt:
1- I opted to go counter-clockwise this time in order to make it so I could stop at Farmington Canyon on my way to the Bountiful B and stash a drop bag. After stashing it at what would be mile 24, I made it to the Bountiful B at 4:00am. Matt Ricks met me there and ran the first 6 miles with me.
2- I tagged the summit of Bountiful Peak this time, whereas last time Sam and I ran past it. I did make the mistake of attempting to summit the wrong sub-peak, and lost about 8 minutes of time upon realizing my mistake.
3- I was able to shave off about 3/4 of a mile by not having to drop all the way to the parking lot at the bottom of the canyon. By stashing my aid bag at Firebreak road, I was able to cut that section off and make it almost exactly a 50k distance.
So... what's the verdict on Monday distance day? I felt better than I have on just about any distance run I've done all year. Why oh why was I so slow to learn this lesson? At any rate, this was a very good run that was long overdue.
So... what's the verdict on Monday distance day? I felt better than I have on just about any distance run I've done all year. Why oh why was I so slow to learn this lesson? At any rate, this was a very good run that was long overdue.





No comments:
Post a Comment