![]() |
| Willard Peak. |
Earlier this year, my wife gave birth to our third child. Then, mid summer we moved to a new home which I have spent the last 3.5 months remodeling. Due to these major life changes my running schedule has been significantly reduced this year. Originally, I was going to sit this year out but Logan persuaded me to go for the 100. Steve has also not trained as much as last year. He found himself in a similar situation. Steve and I started the 100 but later decided to drop, me at mile 22, Steve at the 50.
This year's OTM Bandit Races had the best showing yet. First and foremost, this year belongs to the new and upcoming talent of Logan Ledford and Kalina Zufelt. Both are relatively new to trail running and have set new records for the OTM course. This was a huge accomplishment, being the first 100 miler for both of them to attempt and complete. I couldn't be more excited for this triumph. More importantly, this race is the perfect closer to the wonderful year I've had sharing trails and adventures with them both. They are true friends who I admire. When I grow up maybe I can be like them.
Chris Krash and Dave Crookston both finished the front 50. Tim Shupe is the first ever Monkey's Crack 50 finisher (that's the back half, starting at night). After I dropped and subsequently Steve, we spent the remainder of the time crewing. We both found this very gratifying. All who have participated in the Wasatch 100 and run our course have commented that our course matches or exceeds the difficulty of Wasatch. Being a bandit run, the OTM 100 adds different challenges than a sanctioned race with aid stations, crowds and finish lines. No one shows up to see you finish a bandit run. The satisfaction is yours alone, which makes it somewhat more meaningful in my opinion.
![]() |
| Logan on Ben Lomond. Finishing Time: 31:24 |
![]() |
| Kalina approching Willard Basin. First female to run it. Finishing Time: 33:20 |




No comments:
Post a Comment