Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Dueling Banjos - Olympus Style


For Pioneer day, I decided to take on Olympus again.  Most trail runs are timed from trailhead to summit to trailhead.  But because of the nature of the 600' scramble at the top, we don't like to rush ourselves going back down, and thus make our focus on how fast we can summit this mountain.

I wasn't too sure how well I'd do after the terrible last 4 weeks I've had, I gave it my all to try to beat Sams time from 10 days ago.  I started out power hiking most of the way to the first creek bed, and running whenever my legs and the trail would allow.  I shaved a minute and a half off of my best time to the creek bed.  However, I couldn't keep that pace.  I was still on course to beat my best time until I reached the endless staircase.  In the end, I finished about 5 minutes behind my best time for my third best summit time ever.

32:02 to the creekbed
51:00 to the saddle from the creek bed.
15:24 to the summit from the saddle.
1:38:26 total time to summit

Rainbow in the background. It rained a few drops.
Same fallen tree from Sams post..
Even though I counted about 60 people on the mountain going down, I had the summit all to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment