![]() |
| Layton Marthon course |
The race was beautiful. It started before sunrise running north along the east edge of Antelope Island. Since only 152 people ran the full marathon, the crowd quickly spaced out, and I was left to run mile after mile in quazi-solitude, which was absolutely wonderful. I saw a small herd of antelope run across the road in front of me, and a large herd of buffalo running around while the bus was driving us to the start line.
Starting about 10 minutes before the race, I had a orange GU Chomp in my mouth for nearly the entire duration of the race. They look, feel and taste like giant fruit snacks... yup, giant fruit snacks that have been left unwrapped in your pants pocket for the last two months. But at least they do taste better than the GU gel packets, which taste like used kitty litter, minus the litter. The good news though is that this helped me not experience the normal energy drain I have experienced all summer when doing longer runs.
I ran a little over an 8 minute mile pace for the first 17 miles. I hit my first wall at that point, but then got a second wind from mile 20-23. At that point, my muscles started feeling the distance, and I finished the last few miles at about a 10 minute mile pace. My total time was 3:50:15. Overall, I'm very happy with this, considering the flat course. I finished 26th out of 152. I actually finished 3rd in my age group for 30-34. I didn't stick around to get the medal, since I didn't think I had any chance to ever be in the top 3 of anything, so I wonder if they will let me come pick it up somewhere... So you'll all just have to imagine me standing on the 3rd place pedestal receiving my medal. That's what I'm doing.

Why'd you leave the GU Chomps in your pants for so long?
ReplyDeleteYou're lucky I wasn't running it, or you would have been 4th! Good job man. If they don't give you the medal I'll make you one.