 |
| Jesse and Josh on the way up. |
Mueller Park is one of the best trails for beginners. It is located just south-east of the Bountiful Temple. This morning I found myself leading two new trail runners. Jesse is not new to the OTM world, having been on our
annual beard campout (somehow not growing a beard I might add) twice. However, this was his first time running any trails. Why has it taken so long? Also accompanying us was Josh. I met him last week at a work party, where he mentioned something about having viewed my blogpost on the
Buffalo Run 50 Miler. We talked running for a short time. He mentioned a few of the races he'd competed in, so I asked him when we were going to run together. I was already planning on doing the Mueller Park loop, a possible 13ish miles.
 |
| Tiny Me on Elephant Rock |
Josh was hesitant to agree to a 1/2 marathon trail run, just for fun, but seemed interested. However, his wife, my co-worker, quickly chimed in "that's a great idea." So, like it or not Josh was committed. And he should be grateful to have such a supportive wife of such crazy endeavors. We decided to meet at the bottom of the Mueller Park trail head and shuttle around to North Canyon (why is it not the south?) to start. On the way over, Josh and Jesse both talked about how they had biked the trail several times and were a little worried about how steep the initial assent might be. After running about a mile I was beginning to wonder when the trail got steep. Of course, when the word steep is used I compare everything to Mt. Olympus. In this regard, Mueller Park is never steep. Jesse and Josh did great.
 |
| Jesse and Josh crusin' down. |
After about 2.5 miles we hit Rudy's Flats and were basically done with our assent. We picked up the pace and cruised over to Elephant Rock, taking a short break. We passed several other trail runners and a lot of bikers. It wasn't that much of a hassle, but we were definitely not alone. At one point I blinked and then suddenly one of the trail runners we had passed on his way up was flying on his way down. He smoked us.
We had a fun morning and I think I got them hooked. Once you leave the road for the trail you'll never go back. Maybe next time we'll do the full loop. When I was shuttling Jesse back to his car at our starting point in North Canyon I noticed a lot of people running along the road. I don't know why any of them would run along the road when they have virtually instant access to trails. I'd give almost anything to live that close to the mountains--to be able to walk out my front door and run a trail every day. They don't know what they're missing. But that's ok, less people on the trail is ok with me.
 |
| Map of the Mueller Park loop. |
No comments:
Post a Comment