Friday, May 17, 2013

Solo run up Ben Lomond

Over the last two years, Ben Lomond has become one of my favorite peaks.  Once all the snow has melted in early summer it is possible to ride a dirt bike all the way to the summit.  And while I'm not much of a dirt biker, that fact does prove that the entire thing is run-able  both up and down the entire trail.   All totaled up, you get 16 miles of running along one of the most beautiful ridgelines in the wasatch mountains.  And I should also throw in that you are all but certain to see a herd of mountain goats.

For whatever reason though, there always seems to be a lack of foot traffic along the trail.  Perhaps it's too far north for most people.  Perhaps it is the fact that the trail is shared with dirt bikes (not currently).  All I know is that I would run this trail just about every week if I had the opportunity.

For my first attempt of the year at Lomond, I tackled it solo. The trail conditions were fair.  There were a good number of snow fields that covered the trail, and almost zero proof of human footprints on those fields. Most of those areas were on the southwest corner between miles 2 and 4.  After mile 4 you pass over onto the west side of the ridge, where the running is spectacular, After passing the mountain goats and then the junction at mile 6.5 that drops down to Liberty, I tried to push for the summit.  I made it about half of the remaining mile and a half before the snow got too deep and too steep.  After sinking through the soft snow up to my hip a couple times, I stopped and looked up the 40 degree incline, realizing that I didn't have the time it would take to plow my way up.  As I'm standing there, in my earphone I hear an android voiced message sent from Sam, who had been watching my progress on Endomondo, "That's my kind of trail... straight up."  I laughed out loud and then turned back, loving every minute of the 7.25 miles back to the car.

Not a perfect run, and certainly not the fastest, but still very, very enjoyable.  I'll be back in 3 or 4 weeks to try again.

Just prior to the "hip-sinking" summit push.

Mountain Goat looking at me funny. I've seen mountain
goats 4 out of the last 5 times up this trail.
In this snow field, there were moose and bobcat tracks,
but only one faint set of human tracks.

Ben Lomond from North Ogden Divide map and stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment