Monday, May 19, 2014

Almost, maybe, sorta, kinda, woulda run 100 miles this week. AKA "The big training week!"

So last week I attempted my first ever 100 mile training week. It was really interesting to say the least. I've run one 100 mile race (putting that week at a total of 105 miles) but I've never tried to have 7 consecutive days of training runs that added up to 100 miles. Oh, and not only did I attempt 100 miles horizontally, I had the lofty goal of 30,000 feet of elevation gain. Cause nothing says, "I'm a masochist" quite like stupid amounts of vertical, am I right?

So sparing everyone the boring details (I could honestly write a book about my week, and it would be a New York Times worst seller) I'll give ya the nitty gritty of my "almost" 100 mile week.

Day 1: Monday May 12th, 2014.

13.3 Miles - 1:59:23 - 8:57/mile pace - ~1000' vert - Altra Olympus #1s

I decided I'd do a quick run up the street to kick off the week. Road is my least favorite, but it was a good start and my legs were still sore from my cross training and 20 mile run on Saturday so this hit the spot.

Day 2:

11.6 miles - 2:31:19 - 13:04/mile pace - ~3,800' vert - Altra Lone Peak #2s

Yay trails! Here comes the climbing! I ran from Rattlesnake Gulch to Grandeur Peak via Church Fork, this would be one of many visits to the top of Grandeur the week.

Day 3:

Run 1: 15.3 miles - 4:40:30 - 16:16/mile pace - ~7,800' vertical - Altra Olympus #2s

11:00 AM (yeah, I know, I'm lazy) I hit the west face of Grandeur, made my way over the top, down the other side, headed east at Church Fork for a couple miles then back whence I came. Holy freaking crap. Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong day. And this was my first run of the day. I was pretty tired from the last two days so my start was pretty slow.

Run 2: 8.5 miles - 1:27:14 - 10:12/mile pace - ~2,200' vert - Lone Peak #1s

Run on Trails race in Corner Canyon (what? not Millcreek you say?) I try and make these every Wednesday night and so should you. Can you say raffle and fun? Raffle! I won a water bottle!

Day 3 totals: 23.8 miles - 6:07:44 - ~13:14/mile pace - ~10,000' vertical

Day 4:

11.2 miles - 2:21:58 - 12:38/mi pace - ~4,400' vert - Lone Peak #1s

Another Rattlesnake Gulch to Grandeur Peak via Church! But this time Joe Dean joined me. This was by far one of my better efforts this week, not too fast but no slackin!

Also I took some time to ride my bike at the skatepark and I actually made it to Bikram yoga. If I haven't had a chance to lecture you on the importance of holding incredibly awkward and difficult postures in an insanely hot room while dehydrated, let me tell you. You are missing out on some retardation like you've never experienced. It's amazing and I highly recommend it.

Day 5:

6.2 miles - 3:02:45 - 19:37/mi pace - ~2900' vert - Altra Olympus #2s

Butler Fork to Mt. Raymond with Sam and Steve. This was an ice climbing expedition, I remembered my traction devices but forgot my eye sacks....ice axe..... Admittedly I was deliriously tired. I went to bed at 11:30pm and got up at 3:00 am to make the trail head in time. I have done a lot of training runs where I've had almost no sleep and I seem to keep on being tired anyway. I'm hoping to one day to not rest and just change out some nuclear fuel cells to power my runs, until then I'll keep being tired. Or maybe try and have a bed time.

Day 6: (the long run)

21.6 miles - 4:44:14 - 13:10/mile pace - ~ 7,800' vert - Altra Olympus #1s

Ok, back to Millcreek Canyon. Starting at Rattlesnake Gulch, up on Pipeline, back all the way to Elbow Fork then up to Mt. Aire, back to Elbow, down to Church, part way up to Grandeur (running out of water or else I'd tried to summit) back to Church down to Rattler, on to the overlook on Pipeline, back to Rattler and down to the truck.....sheesh!

Day 7:

7.8 miles - 2:37:35 - 20:23/mi pace - ~ 2,600' vert - Altra Lone Peak #1s

Hiked up Little Black Mountain with Stephanie and Babe. I decided that if I'm gonna count my attempt at Mt. Raymond as mileage then this works too. It was a nice little hike with some good vert. I had to call it once I got back to the truck as my shins and calves were pretty much shot from all the climbing this week.

Weekly totals: 8 runs/hikes 95.6 miles, ~32,500' vertical (25,700' on Strava?), 13:29/mile pace, 23:24:58

While not quite hitting 100 miles (which in hindsight I should of just gone running last night after my hike) I feel pretty good about all my climbing. I feel even better about the amount of time I spent on my feet over the week. That, in my humble opinion, is gonna be what helps me out in Bryce.

Is 100 miles in a week for me? Sure, why not? I really enjoyed all my time outside during the week. I'm pretty sure I'll do one or two more of these this year before Wasatch. I'm hoping to get a whole training week (or at least part of one) up in the High Uintas this summer.

Thanks for reading! Happy Trails :-)

2 comments:

  1. 6.16 miles vertical + 95.6 miles = 101.76 miles. I'm counting it. Super awesome man.

    ReplyDelete