Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Antelope Island 50 Miler Buffalo Run - Race Report


Look way in the distance where the land slopes down to the right. That's where I came from and I gotta get back there.
It's never good to see where you're going .

by Sam

"You shouldn't be here."
"Oh? Where should we be?"
"Climbing a peak somewhere."
"I think you're right."
"We shouldn't be on this vast stretch of flat nothingness. You can't do this. I shouldn't be here."
"It was your idea in the first place."

Somewhere around mile 28 I started having these types of conversations with myself. Not much past the half way mark. Anyone can run 50 miles, if they can put up with themselves. It's not so much the physical aspect of running all day as it is the mental stamina. Sure, you gotta be in shape but what are you going to do about the man in the mirror? Especially when the body does start to break down.

At mile 48.5 Earl decided to cross the trail and stare me down.
"Hey, I'm tired, why don't we stop?"
"Nope, can't do it."
"Dude, you're gonna throw up."
"Maybe."
"So, let's stop and rest."

"No, we can't."
"Just for a minute, no one's around to see."
"Ummm..."
"Just walk for a few minutes."
"Ummm ok... wait ...no."
"Duuuuuude!"
"Duuude."

This was my fourth race with at least a 50 mile distance. And it was payback. I ran this race as my first 50 miler two years ago and I've come a long way since then. Last year I completed the Zion 100K (~62 miles) and an unofficial 50. I had high hopes of doing a lot better than I previously did on this course. My time was cut by almost an hour and twenty minutes, finishing with 10h:35m:29s. I averaged about 11:39 min miles. Around mile 38 I pushed it to try and finish under 10 hours but overall I'm more than satisfied with the results.

Some History Teacher Dude, Batman and Adam Hall.
The 3 amigos from Spanish Fork that I spent a lot of my race with.
One of the coolest things about all the events on Antelope Island is the camaraderie. Due to how the course is laid out there are several opportunities to pass by other runners. High fives all around. I was excited to cheer on many friends and Wranglers doing the 50, 100, 50K and 25K. Often in ultra running you find yourself alone. Seeing other people and cheering them on is what makes this sport awesome. It sure beats listening to the voices inside my head at mile 42.

"Dude, you'll never be able to run a 100 miler."
"Shut up, I'm trying to breath here."
"What was that? I can't hear you over that wheezing."
"Exactly."
"No, really. You sound like a dead lawnmower."
"You're mom's a lawnmower."
"What does that even mean?"
"If I didn't have to focus on breathing right now I'd kick you in the shin."
"Try it, I dare you! You can barely lift your feet as it is."

Amazing sunrise all to myself.

Jeff helped me push the last mile.
My family even came to see me.
About mile 44 my wife texted me to see where I was and informed me that she was on her way with the kids to see me finish. What a nice surprise. My emotional state tends to break down during these long runs and I cried a little. Usually I'm on my own. My family has never been able to see me finish an ultra. So when I texted her that I only had about four more miles left she got a little anxious to make it on time. You see she thought I'd slow down a lot more the last miles. I tried really hard to maintain 12 min mile pace and was pretty successful. Luckily, she made it and I was excited to see her and the kids.

This is what it sounded like trying to maintain 12 min miles at mile 42.

Map of the entire Buffalo Run 50 miler.

Map of the first 19 miles.

Map of the long out and back, miles 20-44.

Map of the last 6 miles.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job Sam! Way to keep going and get a PR and NOT kick yourself in the shin (on purpose anyway)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. Many times my body told me to give up. At mile 28.5 my left leg cramped up so bad I couldn't move it for almost 5 min. More and more people passed me. "Call it quits, you can't even walk." "How do I get back to lower Frary? I can't walk." "The road is right over there. You can hitch a ride." "How am I going to do 22 more miles like this?" "See it time to go sit down and get some Dew." Wait I can do this and I don't care how long its going to take me. Aaron gave me 2 tums and min later things got better. The mental battle with in is hard to fight. Passing others was a big help to me. But after leaving lower Frary for the 2nd time I was on my own. I found myself in a hole once again. Thanks again for yelling at me to suck it up and run. It was a hugh help. Can't wait to hit a peak with you again and get off the flat lander stuff.

    ReplyDelete